My 20 favorite things that occured between 4PM and 10:15PM Central Daylight Time on October 12, 2010:
1) Getting a text from my oldest, who spent his formative years in Washington state and is a lifelong Mariners fan, saying “I’m rooting hard for your boys tonight. Go Rangers!”
2) Having a webchat with my daughter and Rangers Fan-In-Law and seeing my 21-month-old grandson say “Go Rangers!” for the first time. Rangers Fan-In-Law is raising that boy right.
3) Seeing my devoted wife, Mrs. Mariners Fan-Rangers Fan come home from work, go to the bedroom and, without prompting, immediately putting on her Rangers jersey.
4) Getting my Josh Hamilton shirt out of the laundry basket and putting it on for the first time in the playoffs, whether it was stinky or not!
5) Elvis Andrus scoring from second on a groundout in the first inning. 1-0 Rangers.
6) Mitch Moreland almost catching a pop-up bunt, but coming close enough that the runner on first stopped going to second, putting two runners on first. First out of the game for the Rays.
7) Moreland again, making a great catch in foul ground in the bottom of the first while somehow avoiding everyone when he fell into the photographers’ well after the catch.
8) Ian Kinsler laying back on David Price’s breaking ball and punching it through for a single- twice!
9) Bengie Molina steals second- a highlight in anyone’s book!
10) Cliff Lee alertly throwing home to keep the go-ahead run from scoring in the 3rd.
11) Michael Young keeping the baserunner on second from advancing to third on the same play.
12) Nelson Cruz stealing third and coming home on a throwing error in the 4th. 2-1 Rangers.
13) Vlad Guerrero taking the extra base and scoring when Ian Kinsler beats the throw to first to avert the double play in the 6th. 3-1 Rangers.
14) Ian Kinsler hitting a 2-run jack off Rafael Soriano in the top of the 9th. 5-1 Rangers.
15) Cliff Lee, Cliff Lee, Cliff Lee. CG, 6 Hits, 1 Run, 0 Walks, 11 K’s
16) Rangers 5, Rays 1.
17) Getting a phone call from 17-Year-Ranger Fan 30 seconds after the game was over.
18) Getting another text from my eldest telling me maybe I should’ve started doing this blog sooner. Hmmm, could I have been the difference maker? Sure, what the heck. I’ll take personal credit for it!
19) The road team winning every game of the 2010 ALDS.
20) Getting to the ALCS for the first time ever!